Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Welcome...

My name is Melanie Maxell. I live in Pennsylvania. I am 52 years old. I have dabbled in numerous mediums ever since I was a child. I remember an Uncle taking me to a local department store, one Christmas when I was about 10, and I chose a box of oil pastels. I remember how they were so carefully and neatly laid in the box covered with a thin piece of foam. Most likely I still have them packed away somewhere!

As a teenager I made craft items and sold them to my High School teachers. Now, I shudder at the audacity of my youth!!

In my early 20's I took a Watercolor class with a local artist. At the time, and in retrospect, while I had an interest and an 'eye', I lacked the passion necessary to create, like an Artist.

In the late 80's/early 90's I had my "Oil Period"! Thankfully I took photographs of the completed paintings because I gave most of them away as Christmas gifts! (Yes, I was always doing That, too - making Christmas Gifts!)

Later, in the 90's, I went on to dabble in acrylics (Tole Painting) because they were easier to clean up and store than oils. While I had a certain ability, for me, the medium lacked the dimension I was seeking...

I've even done some beading because it is so easy to spend just a few hours, have a completed project (necklace, earrings, bracelet, etc.) and store it away for a later time. Again, while I gave away (and sold) most of what I created, it allowed me to explore with color, but it did not touch my Soul.

Recently I was inspired by a woman I know of who can no longer paint due to physical impairment and constant pain. Her situation made me realize how truly fortunate I was - to have the resources to afford the time and materials to follow a dream!

So, here I am. While my ability/talent remains to be seen, the doing of it, is feeding my Soul... In the few short months I have been exploring watercolor, I am already observing changes in my skills. I am availing myself of some wonderful teachers and workshops, at the local Art Assocation, and trust that in a few more months I will begin to develop my own Style.

My goal is to post my work, here, and along with me, you can observe my progress and my passion. Your comments are welcome and will be greatly appreciated...

Namaste ~ Melanie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the painting in your "about me"....I would buy that in a second! It is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see more!

Love, Thauna